To cover the duties of a safety attendant in charge of entries into confined spaces
At the end of this course students should be able to:
1. Prepare to act as a safety attendant for teams working in confined spaces
2. Oversee safe entry and exit to confined spaces
3. Monitor work team to ensure procedures are followed
4. Deal with emergencies
People in charge of entries into confined spaces.
Course Specific Objectives:
1. State what is meant by the terms “confined space” and “specified risk”.
2. Outline principal requirements of the Safe Entry into Confined Spaces Regulations 1997.
3. Explain risk assessment requirements under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations and associated Approved Code of Practice.
4. State the basic principles of risk assessment relevant to confined spaces.
5. Explain why Permit to Work is utilised with confined spaces.
6. State the purpose and benefits of Safe Systems of Work.
7. Outline principal requirements of the “Emergency Arrangements” as required under the Safe Entry into Confined Spaces Regulations 1997.
8. Outline principal duties of a safety attendant
9. Act as safety attendant during routine working in confined spaces
10. Act as safety attendant should an emergency situation arise in a confined space
The Programme Topic Areas are:
Definition of the term “Safety attendant” • What is a confined space? • What is a specified risk? • Spot the confined space • Legal requirements for confined spaces - The Confined Spaces Regulations 1997 • Background to Legislative requirements for risk assessment • Risk assessment/within a confined space • Factors to be assessed when carrying out a risk assessment on a confined space • Safe Systems of Work (SSW) • 5 steps to developing a SSW • Precautions to be included in a SSW • Permit to Work • Emergency Arrangements • Other control measures a safety attendant is responsible for • Safety attendant's confined space checklist • Outline principal duties of safety attendant • Act as safety attendant during routine working in confined spaces and should an emergency situation arise • Practical session on acting as a safety attendant during normal confined space working • Written and practical tests • Evaluation